Update – This appears to be fixed in Service Update 5 for 8.2.0
Today I upgraded a Dynamics CRM 2016 Online Update 1 instance to Dynamics 365. Everything seemed to be going well. However when using Global Search I was getting the error below.
Query Builder Error – The specified field does not exist in Dynamics 365. If you contact support, please provide the technical details.
Checking the exception, I could see the error was related to an attribute called fullname. The exception was :
Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: 'new_testentity' entity doesn't contain attribute with Name = 'a_9967534d3095e111b8e718a9056eb611.fullname'.Detail: <OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts"> <ActivityId>91195997-e676-46e2-ac04-f744482d1431</ActivityId> <ErrorCode>-2147217149</ErrorCode> <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" /> <Message>'new_testentity' entity doesn't contain attribute with Name = 'a_9967534d3095e111b8e718a9056eb611.fullname'.</Message> <Timestamp>2017-02-13T14:14:04.3720628Z</Timestamp> <ExceptionSource i:nil="true" /> <InnerFault i:nil="true" /> <OriginalException i:nil="true" /> <TraceText i:nil="true" /> </OrganizationServiceFault>
After some testing, I discovered it was only happening when a single entity type was involved, or showed up in some search results. To verify, I went into Settings -> Administration – > System Settings -> General -> Select Entities for Categorized Search and, sure enough, when I remove my custom entity from the entity search list, searching started working again.
So where did the fullname attribute come from? – it didn’t exist on the entity I removed. I then checked the associated and quick find views for the custom entity I was working with. They both had a column added to display the related contact name – which is where the a_9967534d3095e111b8e718a9056eb611.fullname field name came from.
When I removed that column from the views, republished my solution and did a CTRL F5 to refresh my browser, global search (both categorized and the new relevance search!) started to work again.
I logged this with Microsoft support who informed me that this is a known issue and the ultimate fix will hopefully make it into the next release (March 2017). Looks like it was introduced between CRM Online 2016 Service Update 4 (8.1.0.0538) and Dynamics 365 (184.108.40.2067)
Until the next release fixes this issue, use this as a viable workaround.